Tuesday 23 July 2019

Are Native Bees Productive?


Native Black bees
AMM colony split down at the start of the season

I purchased a couple of Irish AMM queens last year to use as breeder queens. They both came trough the winter well in double six frame nucs and then expanded into double BBs. When it came time to super up I decided to break one of them down into nucs, I only wanted to graft from these queens after all. This queen I put into a nuc with two frames, the rest foundation, took it home and left to build up. The other I supered  up as normal.

The result:

The colony that was kept together currently has four supers on.

The broken down colony quickly expanded into two BBs, I then put a BB on as a super and I have just had to put another super on as they have almost filled the other with honey.

One of the early daughter queens (from last year) has two BB supers and three supers.

Who said that AMMs aren’t productive? I’m really rather pleased with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment